Hello Pete, thanks for your response.  In effect, I am thinking about a
blend of in-person as well as virtual events (pre and post-activity).  Your
reference is more than welcomed, as mediawiki seems to be my strong option,
reusing interesting templates fro Wikieducator (
http://wikieducator.org/Quickstart_guide/Pedagogical_templates).  The only
experience I have with open textbooks was building three of them in
Wikibooks.  Best wishes!!

Werner