From: Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 18 August 2015 at 10:49
Subject: [IfA-Finds] Malachite samples - Can you help?
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Finds Group members,

Please find below a message from a doctoral student requesting malachite
samples. Can you help?

I am a doctoral student in Archaeological Chemistry at the University of
Oxford (RLAHA).  I am also a qualified conservator and ICON member.  I am
looking for small archaeological malachite samples from Scotland for my
research and wonder if you could help.  I’ve described below the sort of
samples I’m looking for, and a tiny bit on my research.

Please get in touch with me at [log in to unmask] if you can help.

*THE SAMPLES*

I am looking for tiny samples (~0.5 - 1 g) of archaeological malachite.

-       Malachite, Cu2CO3(OH)2, is a copper carbonate mineral often formed
in burial conditions.

-       Malachite is green.  If you have any green corrosion products from
a copper alloy object that oxidized while in the soil environment, then it
is probably malachite.

-       I do not expect purity.  If the sample is mix-phase and dirty, a
slightly larger sample would be ideal.  I need to be able to pick out ~0.3
µg of malachite crystals.

-       Leave the material characterization to me.  Just send me the green
scrapings.

-       Provenance:  I need to know roughly where the corrosion formed
(usually excavation site).

-       Extra:  If you happen to have geological malachite (ore) samples,
I’d love to have a bit for comparison!

I do not want the metal.  Often copper corrosion is scraped off and
discarded, so why not collect it and send it to me for science instead?!

*THE RESEARCH*

This part of my research aims to investigate the correlations between
malachite and its formation environment using oxygen-18 isotopes.  Once the
relevant reaction pathways are established, they can be used to elucidate
information about the formation environment (like the dominant pathways,
oxygen sources, geographic location of formation, temperature of formation
and isotope fractionation factors) when it is unknown and for the
identification of natural patinas.

Please let me know if you have questions or need additional information.

Thank you,

Daniela Boos Pedroza

Chartered Institute for Archaeologists

Registered office: Miller Building, University of Reading, Reading, RG6 6AB
Tel: 0118 3786446

www.archaeologists.net

*a professional institute for the study and care of the historic
environment*

*Have you seen our latest publication? **Professional Archaeology: a guide
for *clients provides advice to anyone who needs to meet the requirements
of legislation or policy that relate to archaeology. Whether you are
advising clients or developing projects yourself, the guide will help
explain how to get the best results. You can access the guide online here:
http://www.archaeologists.net/find/clientguide.