Posted Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:56:15
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:
You can follow us on twitter @MedSocNews

Please can this be circulated to MedSoc members? With best wishes, Jude

Prof.  Jude Robinson,

Professor of the Anthropology of Health and Illness

Head of the Department of Sociology, Social Policy and Criminology,
School of Law and Social Justice,
University of Liverpool.
Telephone: +44 (0) 151 794 2981
Email: [log in to unmask]
________________________________

Fully-Funded PhD Studentship/Graduate Teaching Assistantship in Sociology, Social Policy and Criminology at the University of Liverpool, UK.

Maintenance grant - £14,057 plus fees - £4,052

Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Law and Social Justice

Location: University of Liverpool Campus

Ref: PhD_GTA_SSPC/WWW

Closing date for receipt of applications: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:00:00 BST

The Department of Sociology, Social Policy and Criminology invites applications for a fully-funded PhD Studentship/Graduate Teaching Assistantship commencing September 2015. We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with a first degree and a Masters in Sociology or cognate discipline, and whose proposed research falls within the interests of Publics & Practices, one of our existing research clusters <https://www.liv.ac.uk/law/research/(http:/www.liv.ac.uk/sociology-social-policy-and-criminology/research/about-our-research/> <https://www.liv.ac.uk/law/research/(http:/www.liv.ac.uk/sociology-social-policy-and-criminology/research/about-our-research/> (http://www.liv.ac.uk/sociology-social-policy-and-criminology/research/about-our-research/<https://www.liv.ac.uk/law/research/(http:/www.liv.ac.uk/sociology-social-policy-and-criminology/research/about-our-research/>).

A vibrant research culture exists within the Department, and the studentship provides an opportunity to develop excellent scholarship in a supportive and engaging intellectual environment. According to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, 69.4% of our research and 100% of our Impacts were ranked 3* and 4*.

Person specification

Candidates must have a good first degree in Sociology (or a related discipline) and preferably should have completed (or be near to completing) a postgraduate degree at Masters or an equivalent level. The successful applicant will be required to undertake small-group teaching and assessment marking in one or more core undergraduate modules. Previous teaching experience, while desirable, is not required.

Details of the post

The studentship is funded over a four year period: two years of part-time PhD registration combined with teaching and research skills training; then (depending on successful progression) two years of full-time PhD registration, during which the post-holder will continue to teach in Sociology, Social Policy and Criminology. Over this period, the School of Law and Social Justice will pay all part-time and full-time University fees at the home / EU level £4,052 FT in 2015/16); plus a full maintenance grant per annum fixed at the AHRC level (expected to be £14,057).

Application process

Formal expressions of interest for the studentship should be sent to Mrs Gemma Davies (School of Law and Social Justice, Eleanor Rathbone Building, Bedford Street South, University of Liverpool, L69 7ZA, Tel: +44 (0)151 794 3086, Email: <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). All applicants must include a CV, covering letter and PhD research proposal of between 500-1000 words. Interested applicants for the post are advised to contact a prospective supervisor in the department to discuss their proposal before applying. Details of the Department’s teaching and research activities can be found on our website http://www.liv.ac.uk/sociology-social-policy-and-criminology. For queries or further information, please contact the Department's Director of Postgraduate Research, Dr Susan Pickard (email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). Please note that shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview in Liverpool, this will include the opportunity to meet with their prospective supervisor(s).

http://www.liv.ac.uk/working/jobvacancies/currentvacancies/studentships/phdgtasspc/

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html