From: "Cate Gunn" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:54:48 AM
Subject: [M-R] Eusebius Gallicanus

Dear Colleagues

I wanted to check the identity of the Eusebius Gallicanus to whom a collection of homilies was attributed; my (admittedly aged) Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church lists Eusebius the Bishop of Caesarea (c.260 - c.340); Eusebius Bishop of Emesa (Homs) in Syria (d. c.359); Eusebius Bishop of Nicomedia (d c.342); St Eusebius Bishop of Vercelli, born in Sardinia (d. c.371); St Eusebius Bishop of Samosata from 361 (d.380); Eusebius Bishop of Dorylaeum (mid. 5th cent.)
The dictionary notes that the Bishop of Edesa has homilies ascribed to him and ‘Collections of  Lat. sermons of Gallican provenance have long gone under his name’, so I think this is my man. Is he known to have actually written any of the sermons ascribed to him? I’m assuming Gallican means to do with Gaul, but the brief entry in the Dictionary does not suggest that this Eusebius ever ventured so far west.

Many thanks
Cate

Cate Gunn

to: [log in to unmask]