Dear All,

Registration is now open for our Understanding Zooarchaeology I and Exploring Palaeoenvironments short courses, which will take place in the Department of Archaeology, University of Sheffield, in September 2015.

These are an ideal introduction or refresher for anyone with an interest in the field.

Understanding Zooarchaeology I: 7th-9th September 2015
Exploring Palaeoenvironments: 10th-11th September 2015

Cost:

£180/£120 (student/unwaged) each course

£220/£330 (student/unwaged) for both courses

The courses will include lectures, discussions and hands on practical
classes as well as case studies from different time periods. Participants will begin to develop the skills necessary to:

 Understand the principles of excavating animal bones.
• Care for and store bones after excavation.
• Identify different species from their bones and teeth.
• Age and sex bones.
• Recognise taphonomy, butchery and pathology.
 Understand how zooarchaeological material is analysed and quantified.

• Analyse faunal remains and understand their value as palaeoenvironmental indicators.

• Investigate the role of pollen and charcoal as indicators of environmental conditions.

• Understand and employ the geoarchaeological evidence in palaeoenvironmental reconstructions.

• Understand the role of traditional and modern archaeological analytical techniques (e.g. stable isotope analysis) for reconstructing past climatic conditions and vegetation.

• Integrate the zooarchaeological, archaeobotanical and geoarchaeological evidence for the reconstruction of environmental conditions faced by past communities.

For further information please see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/zooarchaeology-lab/short-course

You can contact us at: [log in to unmask]

We have had excellent feedback from participants on past courses. Andrew
Lawson, Trainee Biological Curator at Manchester Museum,
who attended one of our previous courses gives his review in his blog:
http://traineecurator.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/sheffield-zooarchaeology-
training-course/

<
http://traineecurator.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/sheffield-zooarchaeology-training-course/>

Follow us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheffield-Zooarchaeology-Short-Course
/100619023380021?ref=hl

Please forward this information to anyone who you think might be
interested. Apologies for cross-posting.

Many thanks,

The Zooarchaeology, Archaeobotany and Geoarchaeology Teams, University of Sheffield