It may not be a question of the literacy of the people concerned but of the parish clerk or clergyman who wrote up the register.  We counted 15-20 different ways that my mother's maiden name Faulkner got spelt in the 17th to 19th centuries.  At that period the name was as spoken, not as written.  Shakespeare spelt his name several different ways in surviving signatures.  The literacy level of a parish clerk may not have been high: it was probably not well paid.  It is thus a question of how far his descendants were able to send their children to school.

Peter KIng