Hi Leo,

We too receive a list of academic new starters in research and teaching positions from HR (but not support staff). This is circulated to all of the academic librarians who then contact them directly either with a standard introductory email or with a more personalised message. The main purpose of the email is to invite the member of staff to meet with their academic librarian on a one-to-one basis for an introduction to the Library. Those that choose to meet are presented with an introductory pack containing promotional literature, a guide highlighting key services and resources (information literacy teaching, database accessibility, serials review, etc.),  a bookmark printed with their academic librarian’s details, a licence form for our Institutional Repository, etc. This is seen as both a personalised introduction to the Library and a profile-raising exercise for the academic librarians.

Kind regards,

Sharon

Sharon Reid MA PGCE MCLIP

Academic Librarian for Politics, History and International Relations

Responsibility for Reader Development

University Library

Loughborough University

Leicestershire LE11 3TU