italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks to all those who replied to my query about translating into Italian a term we are obliged to use in grant applications in English and that must be reflected in online representations of funded projects. The term Principal Investigator sounds fairly silly in English to start with, as though we are a lot of Sherlock Holmeses and Watsons, spy glasses in hand. But there we have it. Here are all the replies I received, which I think may interest the Listserve community for JISCMAIL ITALIANStudies:

1. In certain Italian universities they use "primo ricercatore" or "dirigente di ricerca”. They would name two co-principal both 'primo ricercatore' with their respective names.

2. Queste sono espressioni inglesi che anche io uso tali quali. In italiano direi forse "direttore della ricerca" o "coordinatore della ricerca", "codirettore", ecc., non so se esistono espressioni piu' precise. Probabilmente questi termini si possono lasciare in inglese anche in un progetto italiano, perche' ci si riferisce a un contesto ben preciso che di solito si scrive in inglese ormai anche in Italia.

3. I think the best way to translate "principal investigator" is "responsabile scientifico", I would translate so.

4. Forse una traduzione efficace è "Coordinatore scientifico", termine con il quale nel sistema universitario italiano si indicava il principal investigator nei progetti PRIN.

5. One of the standard translations for this term is "responsabile scientifico" - "co-ordinatore scientifico" o "responsabile scientifico del progetto" / "responsabile scientifico della ricerca”.

6. I would say "responsabile della ricerca" and "co-responsabile", Deanna, but perhaps the Italian burocratichese has already invented a new term/expression!

7. I would try "titolare della ricerca" and "co-titolare della ricerca”

8. On the internet you'll find "ricercatore principale," "responsabile dello studio," "direttore di ricerca," and sperimentatoreprincipale/sperimentatore associato," but "principal investigator" / "PI"
are also used and understood. In my judgment, no one single or standard term is used, but any of the above would be understandable. Personally, I'd do it like this "Ricercatore
Principale (Principal Investigator).”

Sincerely,
Deanna

Deanna Shemek
Professor of Literature
Gary D. Licker Memorial Chair, Cowell College
Co-Director, IDEA: Isabella d'Este Archive

Mail: Cowell College ASC
University of California, Santa Cruz
1156 High Street, Santa Cruz CA 95064
Tel. 831/459-2609 (messages)
Fax 831/459-4880

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies