From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Whitcombe, Emma
Sent: 03 August 2015 12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Large event areas

Hi all,

We're having a discussion over at Wiltshire about how to deal with Events that cover large areas of the county/HER scope area. We have several of these (e.g. large AP interpretation projects) and have not previously come to a solid decision about how best to map them. Clearly it is important to be able to mention the source to enquirers when carrying out a spatial data search, but they are also so large that they will make it difficult to distinguish smaller polygons that sit underneath them. (This is a particular issue to us as our backlog/resourcing situation means we currently prioritise entering Event records over Monument records in most cases.)

We were wondering how others in the HER community deal with this? Do you make a huge polygon that covers half the county? Do you place points in the centre of every parish that is covered? Do you not map them at all? Do you make a new layer specifically for big Event polygons, and, if so, do you nest this within your main Event layer or give it its own place in the layer tree? If you have a specific strategy for this, what are the pros and cons of your decision?

We use HBSMR, but answers from people on other systems are also welcome.

Thanks!

Emma

Emma Whitcombe
HER Assistant
Archaeology Service | Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre | Cocklebury Road | Chippenham | SN15 3QN
Tel: 01249 705526 | E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Website: www.wiltshire.gov.uk<http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/>

This email originates from Wiltshire Council and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information and may be subject to Copyright or Intellectual Property rights. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email from your inbox. Any disclosure, reproduction, dissemination, modification and distribution of the contents of the email is strictly prohibited. Email content may be monitored by Wiltshire Council to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures. No contract is intended by this email, and any personal opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender and should not be taken as representing views of Wiltshire Council. Please note Wiltshire Council utilises anti-virus scanning software but does not warrant that any e-mail or attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from infected e-mail transmissions. Receipt of this e-mail does not imply consent to use or provide this e-mail address to any third party for any purpose. Wiltshire Council will not request the disclosure of personal financial information by means of e-mail any such request should be confirmed in writing by contacting Wiltshire Council.

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.