British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowshipin the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, University of Leeds

Dear colleagues,

German at Leeds would be delighted to sponsor applications for the BA postdoctoral scheme - we have an excellent track record of grant-capture success, a vibrant research culture within a large and diverse school, and strengths in literature, history, culture and society in the twentieth and twenty-first century.

Best wishes,

Stuart Taberner

The School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at Leedsinvites expressions of interest from post-doctoral researchers considering making an application for the 2015/16 British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme.

The University of Leeds is one of the top UK universities for research and impact power. The results of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 saw Leeds ranked in 10th place for research power, a measure of the number of people producing the highest quality research.

The School of Languages, Cultures and Societies (LCS) is one of the UK's leading centres for international-quality languages and cultures research and teaching. The School belongs to the Faculty of Arts, which was recently ranked in the top 50 in the world by the QS World University rankings. Researchers in the Faculty of Arts are currently running projects worth over £3 million, funded by research councils, charities and the European Union. We were ranked 1st in the UK for responsive awards made by the Arts and Humanities Research Council in the most recently published rankings. Post-doctoral researchers in Arts are supported by a networking and development programme in the Leeds Humanities Research Institute and a well-established impact and innovation infrastructure, designed to help all our colleagues realise the full potential of their research.

LCS is one of the largest and most diverse of its kind in the UK - here you can enjoy state-of-the-art facilities, the expertise and dedication of internationally recognised scholars. The study of languages, cultures and linguistics enjoys over a century of history at the University of Leeds. We are proud of our tradition, but also of the expansion and innovation during the last decades, which have seen us broaden our activities to include Interpreting & Translating, South East Asian Studies, and World Cinemas, involving a major programme of investment in new staff and facilities.

Staff in LCS pursue individual, collaborative and multidisciplinary research in the fields of language, literature, history, politics, economics, sociology, cultural studies, film and media studies, linguistics and translation studies. Underpinning our research is the appreciation of the key importance of language as a human institution and the intellectual, educational, and social value of its study.

General enquiries may be made [log in to unmask].Those considering applying are encouraged to contact potential research mentors in LCS to discuss their proposal directly.

Expression of interest - timescale

The British Academy’s eligibility criteria for the scheme are available via the link in the first paragraph above. Interested parties meeting these criteria are invited tosend expressions of interest (a full academic CV and detailed project proposaldirectly to their prospective mentor, copying in [log in to unmask] as soon as possible, and by Monday 21st September at the absolute latest.