Mike Atherton passed away yesterday afternoon after a long period of debilitating illness. I’m sure there are many on here who knew him, either from his earlier work on metamorphism or his later work on granites. A sad loss to our community.

There are no details yet of future arrangements. If anyone wants to be kept updated, then please feel free to contact me directly at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Alan

Dr. A.P. Boyle   SFHEA
Geology Programme Director
Department of Earth Ocean & Ecological Sciences, School of Environmental Sciences, Jane Herdman Building, 4 Brownlow Street
University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GP, U.K.
Tel: (0151) 794 5154;   FAX:(0151) 794 5196;    School web page: www.liv.ac.uk/environmental-sciences<http://www.liv.ac.uk/earth>

"The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact." (Huxley, 1825 - 1895)
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the intended recipients only.  Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal offence.  Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to the sender