Dear colleagues,

I would be interested in any of your feedbacks if some of you are using the Pelcon AutomaticMachine for thin sections preparation.
We want to install a thin section lab in our new institute and we are comparing different possibilities. The Pelcon seems easy to use but we don't know really about the result and if they exist some specific problems. The use will be destinated both to research and students collection.
In particular, what are the benefits, and most of all, the disadvantages in comparison with a classical equipment?
Should you recommend it for any types of rocks (magmatic, metam, sedim)?
The thin sections produced are of quality? Is it possible to choose the thickness?
Are they shortcomings for specific analyzes (EMPA, etc.) ? (I saw that the glass is wider than normal thin section, no problem to cut it at the end?)
Does it necessitate huge consumables? What about the long-term maintenance?
An all other observations you may find relevant...

Your experience would be greatly appreciable to guide us...

You may e-mail me directly or post to the list if appropriate. Thanks.

Gaëlle Plissart
--
Dra. Gaëlle PLISSART
  Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra, Universidad Austral de Chile