Hi Helen,
My point of view on this is if your budget is limited, don't develop native
apps because not only are they expensive but maintaining them is expensive
too. And you have the additional development time and delays when you want
to tweak them.

This is why we created our customisable web application, Communicator - of
which a scavenger hunt demo can be seen here: http://19reinos.cm.cr/

As a web application it will run on all phones that have a browser
regardless of operating system (and desktops), it can be tightly integrated
with your website and you can create seamless connected learning
experiences.

We can do almost anything in HTML5 that you can do with an app including
geotagging/geolocation except something like NFC or iBeacon tagging. In
these cases we've developed a very thin app that just does the tag scanning
and then diverts to the web app. A recent work-in-progress can be viewed
here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU3RlbtJPQQ

Hope you don't think this advice is too biased but it does come from
practical experience :)
very best
Robert

--
CEO & Founder, Transmedia Storyteller Ltd (providers of Conducttr)
http://conducttr.com

Europe: +44 207 193 4567
USA: +1 415 287 4150