Thank you so much for your help and the suggestions. I will have a look at the acquisition parameters. Also, performing multiple BET's sounds like a good solution.

I only really use the anatomical scans for registration purposes. I was under the impression that in order to get good registration it is important to virtually eliminate all non-brain tissue in structural brain extraction? Or is this being overly meticulous?

Laura

On Aug 6, 2015, at 1:53 PM, Mark Jenkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Laura,

With this acquisition it is tough to get everything that you'd want.
I have a fairly good result with:
  bet rfov.nii.gz rfov_brain -R -f 0.3 -g -0.2
on the result from robustfov (I've called it rfov here).
However, it still includes non-brain material at the top, which is largely because you have quite a lot of signal from the marrow/membranes that is right next to the brain and it is difficult for BET to separate them cleanly.  BET tends to work better when fat saturation is applied (at least partially) in the structural image acquisition. The frontal lobe is difficult because you have a fairly local bias field there that is making it quite dark.  The results of the above look pretty good for me in the frontal lobe, but I had to use -g to stop it running away in the inferior regions. See what you think.  For the purposes of registration this should be sufficient.

If you need a very tight brain mask then I'd suggest running two BETs, one optimised to get the bottom half and frontal lobe right, and then one optimised to get the top portions right, and then just combine the two together with fslroi and fslmerge.  This may even work as a general solution if you have lots of images like this and script up the necessary commands.  I can't think of anything else to suggest at the moment.

All the best,
Mark

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Laura Banu <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, 6 August 2015 18:31
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [FSL] Problematic Brain Extraction

Thank you so much for your help, as always. I will upload the original image now (245016_Structural)

---
Laura Banu
Research Assistant
Cardiac Neuroscience Laboratory
Center of Alcohol Studies
Rutgers University
Work: (848) 445-3577
Cell: (646) 643-6917

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Mark Jenkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi,

If the output of robustfov does not look obvious wrong then I doubt -b will do anything useful.  Can you upload your original image to:

I'll then have a look and see if I can see why there is a problem and how to fix it.

As for your other question, the answer is yes.  You would use the reduced FOV output from robustfov in all subsequent analyses; as if the original one never existed, as we never need the neck, unless you are doing spinal cord imaging, where it is quite helpful!  ;)

All the best,
Mark