Dear All

One of our external examiners has questioned our approach to students with
learning needs in his examiners report. They said the following:

"I also requested some clarification on the policy concerning Special
Circumstances. With some essays, I was asked to mark ‘content alone’, a
practice I was not happy with. If students had received support in the
writing of their essays, then expecting them to be marked differently from
other students ran the risk of doubly benefiting some students. I did not
receive clear reassurances on this."

They feel that we should be supporting students in their writing, but not
marking their essays differently. I have practical concerns about this as
we have a large number of students with dyslexia in proportion to our size
as it would be difficult to do this in-house and many of the students don't
seem to be taking up their one to one study skills support through Access
Summit. I also feel that some mistakes will be made despite the support and
students shouldn't be penalized for that.

I need to respond on behalf of our exam board, but not sure of the approach
to take. Is general practice to mark the work differently (I have found a
number of policies on this) or do we need to go with what the examiner
wants and support students in their writing.

Our faculty sometimes struggle to mark work on content alone so advice on
how I can help our faculty with this would be appreciated too.

Thank you,

Helen.