Hmm... I've just been gently informed off-list that I've exposed my ignorance here, and that Phenix vs. Refmac cycles aren't in any way comparable when it comes to computational time. Please consider that second paragraph retracted.

From: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Tristan Croll <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, 3 August 2015 12:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Rfree at low resolution: how reliable is it, really?

Hi James,

I've also found that fixing things can drive Rfree up for a while, sometimes hundreds of cycles...

 But isn't that in itself a powefully counter-intuitive result? That a "bad" structure (as defined by geometry or map fit/quality) can relatively easily achieve an Rfree that a "better" structure can take hundreds of cycles to reach?

A more practical question: for a 17k residue structure, hundreds of cycles equates to weeks of computer time (at least on my hardware) - and would stretch the 2-3 weeks I've spent on this one to closer to six months. While you see a reduction in Rfree, have you looked to see how much has changed between, say, cycle 10 and cycle 100? Are there many/any adjustments that fundamentally change the structure?

At the risk of giving you the "try a different program" answer, I suspect that if you want to say something general about refinement at different resolutions you should be using at least two different refinement programs.

Point well taken :) - but at the moment I'm not sure if I'm trying to say something general or simply ask for others' input on whether this *might* be something general. I will mention something I probably should have brought up originally, though: in each of the cases I've rebuilt, the PDB_REDO entries (whether conservative or full optimization) also have (often substantially) higher Rfree values than the originals.

Best regards,

Tristan

Tristan Croll
Lecturer
Faculty of Health
School of Biomedical Sciences
Institute of Health and Biomedical Engineering
Queensland University of Technology
60 Musk Ave
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059 Australia
+61 7 3138 6443