I would check CMP Kinase - does it have similar selectivity? Differences
between C and U (especially with respect to hydrogen bonding of the base)
are not necessarily all that minimal - most likely the enzyme employs a few
strategically positioned residues to create hydrogen bonding networks that
favor U over C. Which also means that the phosphate-cleaving residues have
to swing into action when the correct base is recognized, meaning that I
wouldn't be surprised at all if at least one of the catalytic residues is
also shared with the substrate-specificity residue set.

Just a guess, of course. Too busy to look it up :)

Artem

www.harkerbio.com

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message