Why are we rubbing old sores? Why are we opening old wounds? I remember meeting these attempts at obstruction in the early 1960s. Modernism can't "take" in Britain and other forms of wishful thinking, attempts to re-write the history before the event. Which were no more than attempts to clear a space for yourself or the horse you'd backed. Obviously we proved them wrong, though it took quite a long time. They can be forgotten now.

(But they had already been proved wrong by 1939)

PR