From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
To: BRITISH-IRISH-POETS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Aug 17, 2015 02:14 PM
Subject: Re: Poetry On Trial: 2. “Poetry and Tribalism” by Jon Stone

That's an interesting thread (the Chris Emery one from 2008)

I suppose one
thing that's changed is that much higher proportions of kids attend uni than was
the case in the 1960s.  Same in the US. It's no longer so easy to clearly
separate "elitist" academic institutions from grassroots activity. Some sort of
university presence exists within most large conurbations and is likely to be a
focus for enquiring people meeting each other.

A specific answer, of sorts,
to Emery's reasonable 2008 question was Chris Goode's anthology Better than
Language. I'm hoping the forthcoming Out of Everywhere 2 will answer it a lot
more.

It's not really clear if the sociological vector still exists by
which a smart non-uni-acculturated kid would be likely to come enthusiastically
or usefully into contact with the historical Av-G tradition without passing
through a university portal.  Here in Swindon we occasionally have an alt-poet
giving a reading or a workshop, but neither these guests nor their amiably
puzzled audience have a particularly youthful demographic.

It's a temptation
to conclude that the lively counterculture debates of the sixties now take
place, if they do at all, inside uni classrooms, - I mean when they're not
virtual debates on facebook. I'd very much like to hear of organized
counterexamples.  ( I have a feeling that anything we have heard of is likely to
be not at the growing tip of culture. )

There is , of course, lots of
non-standard poetic activity outside the academy, there always will be, but
without organization it isn't really a culture, just individuals of various ages
with tenuous friendship connections. That isn't a system that easily makes
contact with new poets, thouigh I hope it happens sometimes.  But anyway
discipleship isn't the important thing. I don't want young poets to be curators;
not most of them, anyway. The important thing is  not they they meet the
tradition, but that they meet each other.  The shared concerns, conceptions,
language and (not least) ignorance; these are what make a new poetry possible.