In hard terms it more or less can state the situation in terms many won't approve of but often "community writer" is equally harsh Patrick. Then many publishers have specific "out people" & "in people". The term "body of work" I have often heard from poets well known on this forum. In crude business terms that means "you're not on my level pleb!".

The actual blog seems to have vanished into cyberspace or my browser is out of sync. In local writing groups one meets superb writers but to be published in book form requires cash and literary kudos or simply nepotism. It is rare for a small or large press to publish a total unknown Patrick. I take your points with respect but also feel what is or was said has valid angles on modern times.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: BRITISH-IRISH-POETS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:12
Subject: Re: Poetry On Trial: 2. “Poetry and Tribalism” by Jon Stone

Re It made me think there may be a fourth clan: Amateur poets. Largely self-involved and little interested in poetrybeyond their ownwritings, which are often memoirvignettes broken into baldly poetic lines.Often self-publishing and ready to read at any local open mike or poetry club that will allowthem to hold forth. Probably larger by numbers than any of the other three groups individually orcombined. Sounds like me there !!def baldy not bawdy always and holding forth little interested in the beyond and god help us ‘self publishing – we should be banned -go in a corner and die !!and let the professionals get on with it!!! – (humph!! J) I mean writing poetry !! –hey could be for fun even!!!!From: British & Irish poets [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sean Carey