Are you interested in breaking down barriers of communication between disciplines using innovative approaches for understanding evolution better?

Have you ever dreamt of a computer that could help navigate the messy realities of biology without needless complexity or bugs? Dream computers are one thing. Real ones are more frustrating.

All who have worked at interfaces between messy complexities of biology, the physical world, and precise mathematics can tell stories from the trenches. Reality is too complex, so we all simplify. We call these simplifications 'models', and our disciplines provide excellent tools for constructing them from different perspectives. But the strength of one discipline is often the weakness of another, and we all have different pieces of the puzzle - each written in a different disciplinary language. Computers could help us see more of the big picture, if we could find a common lexicon.

This workshop is about putting pieces from different fields together for a lexicon we could share among each other and with computers. Join modeling experts at the interface between evolution, biochemistry, systems biology, simulation, math, computer science, and more at the:

   Workshop on Evolutionary Systems Biology & Modeling 2015

      August 25, 2015 (Tue)

   2pm-9:30pm,  3rd Floor Teaching Lab,
                330 N Orchard St,
   Wisconsin Institute for Discovery,
   University of Wisconsin-Madison

Evolutionary systems biology aims to build bridges between rigorous mechanistic models in evolutionary biology, molecular systems biology, and the many disciplines between them. At the workshop, we will discuss a broad mix of topics from gene regulatory networks to evolutionary biology, while highlighting some diverse theoretical challenges and quantitative methods that have proven useful to address them. Bring your laptop to get started with simulating a gene regulatory network. End the day by asking hard questions or share your insights in the Bazaar of Ideas. Who knows what you may learn.

For more details see the workshop website (free registration, needed for catering):

   http://evolutionarysystemsbiology.org/meeting/2015-Madison/index.html

Graduate students with interests in interdisciplinary research are particularly encouraged to consider submitting a poster or talk in one of the many areas relevant to evolution, systems biology or the quantitative methods they build on. Slots are still available.

See you in Madison,
Laurence

--
Laurence Loewe, Assistant Professor
Laboratory of Genetics and Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, UW-Madison

Thanks,
Laurence

SIGNOFF allstat