Hi all

Interested in teaching secondary maths or know someone who is?

It’s that time of year when we want the lazy summer days to go on indefinitely. However, not to be too depressing we are at that point when thoughts inevitably turn to September. Being the big date in the academic year we are sure many of you are making plans. 2014’s Maths Scholars will have finished their NQT year and will be looking forward to returning to classrooms as fully-fledged Maths teachers.

Many of them filled in our survey and here’s the advice they had to anyone thinking of applying for a Maths Scholarship but are still teetering on the edge:

If you're studying mathematics or have a mathematics background then don't worry, just apply. The process is long but it’s very do-a-able.

You have to enjoy maths! If you do then become a maths teacher and share your joy!

Don't worry about the test. You're supposed to find it difficult! It’s an assessment of how you think!

Go for it. We need passionate maths teachers and why shouldn’t one of those be you?

If you’re thinking there’s no maths teacher training places left, you’d be wrong. Contact the ‘get into teaching’ helpline they can tell you where the vacancies are. Just call:0800 389 2500 or talk online: getintoteaching.education.gov.uk

When you’ve found the place go to
www.ima.org.uk/careers/teacher_scholarships.cfm.html and apply to be a Scholar too - the final date for applications is 2nd September.

Dagmar Waller

Project Manager, Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships

The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications

I support the Scholarships scheme on a part time basis, generally working mornings.

For information about the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship Scheme please go to http://www.ima.org.uk/careers/teacher_scholarships.cfm.html

Follow us on twitter @Beamathsteacher and on Facebook Maths Scholars

The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications is a not for profit organisation registered as a charity in the UK.
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System before onward transmission.

SIGNOFF allstat