Websites like that one should also have sample timing requirements for drugs and anything with a diurnal variation.

Regards

Richard Stott
Principal Clinical Scientist.

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr Peadar McGing
Sent: 13 August 2015 16:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Blood tube colour conventions

Something else to throw into the mix.
I was using good old Google to look up some information a few minutes ago and accessed this site.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2090086-overview

I got what I was looking for but on glancing down the page, and with my brain primed by this discussion, I was interested to note the following guidance.
Collection and Panels
Specimen: Blood
Container: Red-top tube

While of course all users of our services should check what bottles we want in the lab they are sending blood to, it would be naïve to think websites would never be used 'to check'. It might be useful if websites giving such information could be persuaded to give the bottle type rather than the colour of the cap.

best wishes.

Peadar

Dr Peadar McGing, FRCPath EurClinChem,
Principal Biochemist,
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Diagnostic Endocrinology,
Mater Misericordiae University Hospital,
Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland.