That's remarkable, Kevin. I have never seen anything like that. The first explanation that comes to mind is that an eagle's foot was nailed to the wall or to a door-frame as some kind of trophy or talisman. Before rushing to an apotropaic interpretation, I take a look at the stoat skull currently watching me from my study windowsill!

Terry

Please note that I retired on January 1st 2015. This email address will continue to function, but replies may not be immediate.

Terry O'Connor
Emeritus Professor, Department of Archaeology, University of York
c/o Biology S Block, Heslington, York YO10 5DD
+44-1904-328619