Van: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Burke Ariane
Verzonden: maandag 27 juli 2015 11:34
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [ZOOARCH] Knapped animal teeth

Fascinating thread... For an early description of beaver tooth "knife sharpeners" (elsewhere described as adzes) written as a comment in Science in 1887 see: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1763933?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
These tools are very common in North America, in Canada known from the Queen Charlotte islands to Quebec. There are drawers full of them at the Manitoba Museum. They aren't knapped per se, but are retouched (as per the 1887 observation).
Suzanne - I seem to remember seeing a reference for Palaeolithic worked rhino tooth from somewhere in China? Not something I downloaded to Endnote, sorry. Perhaps WoS will give you some good leads?
Cheers,
Ariane

Dr. Ariane Burke, Professeure Titulaire, Professeure invitee (2014-15) Laboratoire d'archeologie prehistorique Institut J.-A. Forel, Sciences de la Terre, Universite de Geneve

http://archeozoologie.anthro.umontreal.ca/