Dear Pam, we published fusion data for a population of unimproved Shetland rams, wethers and ewes, which show the variation within and between sex and nutritional cohorts (see Table 4 in Popkin et al 2012, reference below).

We also provide a table comparing published sources for fusion in sheep, including Silver (Table 5 in reference below). The sequence of fusion is roughly similar between sources (including our study), apart from the proximal calcaneum which shows some variation. Regarding timing, our study has shown that fusion in castrates is delayed relative to rams and in particular ewes. Silver did not publish the sex of the animals used in his study but we suggested that ‘Silvers fusion ranges are sufficiently narrow to indicate they likely represent a single sex, possibly castrates’ (p 1779).

Popkin, P., Baker, P., Worley, F., Payne, S., Hammon, A., 2012. The Sheep Project (1): determining skeletal growth, timing of epiphyseal fusion and morphometric variation in unimproved Shetland sheep of known age, sex, castration status and nutrition, Journal of Archaeological Science 39, 1775–1792. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jas.2012.01.018

Best wishes, Poly

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pajx
Sent: 21 July 2015 00:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] - Silver's Ageing of Domestic Animals

Hi

Can anyone tell me firstly, whether there are 2 editions of:

Silver IA. 1963. The Ageing of Domestic Animals. In: Brothwell D, and Higgs E, editors. Science in Archaeology: A Comprehensive Survey of Progress and Research. New York: Basic Books. p 250-268.

I seem to have this info for a 2nd ed.: 1969/70, p 283- 302 but I can't seem to find anything about it, so am thinking I've just mixed something together.

And secondly... I have heard from a number of people that many of the fusion ages quoted by Silver are based on sources that are now discredited - for instance:

Payne, S. (1984). "The use of early 19th century data in ageing cattle mandibles from archaeological sites, and the relationship between the eruption of M3 and P4." Circaea 2: 77-82.

Also a paper by B. Noddle.

Is anyone aware of whether any of the fusion data in Silver is still considered reliable?

A pdf of the 1963 chapter is available here:

http://math.unife.it/interfacolta/lm.preistoria/insegnamenti/archeozoologia-1/materiale-didattico/a-a-2014-2015/laboratorio-eta-di-morte/Silver_1963.pdf

cheers

Pam

Pamela J Cross
PhD researcher, Zoo/Bioarchaeology
Archaeological Sciences, University of Bradford,  BD7 1DP  UK
p.j.cross (at) student.bradford.ac.uk  / pajx (at) aol.com
http://www.barc.brad.ac.uk/resstud_Cross.php
http://bradford.academia.edu/PamCross

Life at the Edge  "liminality...enable[s] evolution and growth ... Boundaries and edges also characterize the dynamics of landscapes ... environments..[both intellectual and physical]." Andrews & Roberts 2012, Liminal Landscapes

We are the public body that looks after England's historic environment. We champion historic places, helping people to understand, value and care for them, now and for the future.
Sign up to our enewsletter to keep up to date with our latest news, advice and listings.

HistoricEngland.org.uk           Twitter: @HistoricEngland

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of Historic England unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to Historic England may become publicly available.