James

One barrier continues to be the issue of how we understand masculinity and the extent to which male youth workers are self-critical and self-conscious in their relations with both young men and young women. Although it was always on the margins the 1980's saw an effort by some men to develop an anti-sexist practice, symbolised by the efforts of Trefor Lloyd - see this reflective,but practical piece he wrote back in 1997.

Let's Get Changed Lads : Developing work with boys and young men

More recent research undertaken by Ken Harland, Sam McCready and others at http://www.ulster.ac.uk/sass/the-centre-for-young-mens-studies/

See also Gender Conscious Practice with Young People

Best Wishes

Tony