I would still use TBV or ICV even if you are looking at gray matter only.

You can compute the sum of each image and them them together.

See Gem 15: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nichols/JohnsGems.html

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Jose Paredes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thank you, Donald, but I think that If I am working with s-w-m gray matter images I would have to consider the mean volume of gray matter as covariate instead of TBV or ICV, right?

Otherwise, Are there some spm functions or spm tools that let me calculate the mean volume of gray matter for each image (or ICV if it is necessary)?

Regards.