Dear Alexandre,

You can use spm_orth.m to orthogonalise your regressors. This implements Gramm-Schmidt orthogonalisation where the linear part explained by your first regressor is removed from your second regressor.

Regarding your second question, using two separate two-sample t-test will allow you to test each covariate individually. Here, each parameter will be uniquely defined.

Best wishes
Martin