Dear nswa66,

on request of some users I have prepared a VBM8 version that runs with SPM12. However, it is not fully tested and not all functions will work (as demonstrated by your error message). Therefore, I would recommend to still use VBM8 with SPM8 or to try the (not yet released) VBM12 toolbox:
http://www.neuro.uni-jena.de/vbm12

Please note that this is still a development version and some functions will change and documentation is not yet finished.

Best,

Christian