Dear Karny,

Let me explain with some arbitrary values. Depending on your threshold,
let's say a voxel is significant if t value > 4. For your schizophrenia
patients, maybe all voxels got t value < 4 and thus no 'activation'. Among
the controls, maybe some voxels got t value > 4 and thus 'activated'.

In one tailed two sample t test [schizophrenia patients - controls], some
voxels can be significant if the difference in t value is > 4, e.g. [3 -
In this case, this voxel i has t value of 3 in the former group and t value
of -2 in the latter group. The resultant becomes > 4.

Best,
Andy