Dear SEP subscribers,

Free postage to all UK based subscribers.

We hope you find the following titles of interest.

Reading with John Clare Reading with John Clare

Biopoetics, Sovereignty, Romanticism

Sara Guyer

   "Guyer's analysis of Clare is a stroke of genius. The study of Romanticism has long been undertaken without Clare. His life and poetry seemed suited to a marginal status. However, Guyer profoundly changes our understanding of Clare and changes how we approach the field of Romanticism itself. A powerful book."—Forest Pyle, University of Oregon

   "Who is romantic? Is it the poet, John Clare and his attachment to people's life, or the philosopher, Agamben's characterization of such an attachment as a form of sovereignty? What is romanticism? The literary name to biopolitics, or the literary deconstruction of biopolitics itself? Bravely opening these immense and singular questions, Sara Guyer achieves what remained to be achieved since Foucault: the reevaluation of the part played by the biological within the symbolic. 'Biopoetics' is born."—Catherine Malabou, author of The New Wounded

   Reading with John Clare argues that at the heart of contemporary biopolitical thinking is an insistent repression of poetry. By returning to the moment at which biopolitics is said to emerge simultaneously with romanticism, this project renews our understanding of the operations of contemporary politics and its relation to aesthetics across two centuries.  Guyer focuses on a single, exemplary case: the poetry and autobiographical writing of the British poet John Clare (1793-1864). Reading Clare in combination with contemporary theories of biopolitics, Guyer reinterprets romanticism's political legacies, specifically the belief that romanticism is a direct precursor to the violent nationalisms and redemptive environmentalisms of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.  Guyer offers an alternative account of many of romanticism's foundational concepts, like home, genius, creativity, and organicism. She shows that contemporary critical theories of biopolitics, despite repeatedly dismissing the aesthetic or poetic dimensions of power as a culpable ideology, emerge within the same rhetorical tradition as the romanticism they denounce. The book thus compels a rethinking of the biopolitical critique of poetry and an attendant reconsideration of romanticism and its concepts.

   Sara Guyer is Professor of English at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where she directs the Center for the Humanities.  She is the author of Romanticism After Auschwitz.

Fordham University Press

May 2015 176pp 9780823265589 Paperback £17.99 now only £14.39* when you quote CSL715PHIL when you order.

http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/reading-with-john-clare

Interdependence Interdependence

Biology and Beyond

Kriti Sharma

   “In setting forth her vision of contingentism that objects are really webs of processes contingent on multiple interacting conditions Sharma moves eloquently back and forth between biology and philosophy. The book is a model of accessible but serious and elegant science writing.”—Evan Thompson, University of British Columbia

   “Interdependence is an exceptionally original work of comprehensive theorizing. Conceptually subtle, empirically rigorous, and compellingly argued, it addresses some of the most fundamental questions in theoretical biology and demonstrates their close relation to central problems in our ideas of knowledge, existence, and reality.” —Barbara Herrnstein Smith, author, Scandalous Knowledge: Science, Truth and the Human

   From biology to economics to information theory, the theme of interdependence is in the air, framing our experiences of all sorts of everyday phenomena. Indeed, the network may be the ascendant metaphor of our time. Yet precisely because the language of interdependence has become so commonplace as to be almost banal, we miss some of its most surprising and far-reaching implications.  In Interdependence, biologist Kriti Sharma offers a compelling alternative to the popular view that interdependence simply means independent things interacting. Sharma systematically shows how interdependence entails the mutual constitution of one thing by another-how all things come into being only in a system of dependence on others.  In a step-by-step account filled with vivid examples, Sharma shows how a coherent view of interdependence can help make sense not only of a range of everyday experiences but also of the most basic functions of living cells. With particular attention to the fundamental biological problem of how cells pick up signals from their surroundings, Sharma shows that only an account which replaces the perspective of "individual cells interacting with external environments" with one centered in interdependent, recursive systems can adequately account for how life works.  This book will be of interest to biologists and philosophers, to theorists of science, of systems, and of cybernetics, and to anyone curious about how life works. Clear, concise, and insightful, Interdependence: Biology and Beyond explicitly offers a coherent and practical philosophy of interdependence and will help shape what interdependence comes to mean in the twenty-first century.

   KRITI SHARMA, a microbiologist, is completing her Ph.D. in Biological Sciences at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Fordham University Press

June 2015 160pp 9780823265534 Paperback £16.99 now only £13.59* when you quote CSL715PHIL when you order.

http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/interdependence

UK Postage and Packing FREE, Europe £4.50, RoW £4.99

(PLEASE QUOTE REF NUMBER: CSL715PHIL for discount)

To order a copy please contact Marston on +44(0)1235 465500 or email [log in to unmask]

or visit our website:

http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/

where you can also receive your discount

 *Price subject to change.

 **Offer excludes the USA, South America and Australia.

 Follow us on Twitter @CAP_Ltd or Facebook Combined Academic Publishers

 Sign up to our newsletter email alerts here