Good questions, Ian, and an interesting discussion.

The unit of assessment will surely be (in the final analysis) institutional? Everything said so far seems to indicate that. This means that any 'index' would need to operate at institutional level, and translate across very different kinds of institution. Given the vastly different types of roles, 'job families' and organisational structures, coming up with some kind of scholarship index which makes sense to all institutions is going to be very tricky. I can certainly see the merit of such an index for internal institutional purposes, but finding something which works across such diverse institutions, with quite different roles and missions, could be next to impossible. (I write from an institution which, for example, will just not submit applications for NTFS because of the seriously adverse effects of doing so in the past - although we may re-open the discussion on that one in time.)

My understanding is that the 'basket of metrics' will predominantly include data already available, such as NSS, staff qualifications/professional recognition, student retention and achievement, and so on. It would be good to see some recognition of teaching-related 'scholarship' (defined broadly), but is it logically possible to do this at institutional level right across the sector?

It will certainly be interesting to see how this develops.

All the best

Dilly

Dr Dilly Fung PFHEA
Director, Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT)
UCL
020 7679 5939 (Internal ext. 45939)
1-19 Torrington Place
London