Hi again

Very interesting discussion.

I do take the points about the richness of facilitation, but if you come from a tradition which sees 'good' education as open-ended, enquiry-based dialogue, the question is whether the teacher is a full participant in the conversation, or facilitating a conversation between others? William Pinar's work on curriculum is very interesting. He argues that teachers should be
' confirmed not as facilitators of learning but as individuated communicants in a complicated conversation that is informed by academic knowledge, subjectivity and the historical moment' (Pinar 2012, 25-26).
If we're all, teachers and students, communicants in this 'complicated conversation', there's potentially a different power balance. And arguably, this makes the teacher more fully present in the moment. Lots of interesting 'teacher identity' issues...
Dilly

Dr Dilly Fung PFHEA
Director, Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT)
UCL
020 7679 5939 (Internal ext. 45939)
1-19 Torrington Place
London
WC1E 7HB

 [cid:D7CDF5F1-4118-42FD-912D-FFC891D7067E]