Following my last email. My part starts at about 15:30!

Simon

Sent from iPhone, please excuse brevity.

On 1 Jul 2015, at 15:08, John Canning <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

A very interesting discussion which crosses many aspects of pedagogy and technology.

Sometimes we have need to go back to the reasons for lecture capture which are quickly lost in these discussions. At a basic audio only level all that's required is to attach a microphone to a dictaphone or even record on a mobile phone- you could even record video on the mobile phone. For internal purposes the quality would probably be adequate and there is plenty of software out there for converting formats (much of it free/ open source). If however you want to make the lectures public then you would probably want to to look at much more professional solutions. One advantage of the non-compulsion approach is that many enthusiasts for lecture capture will find their own solutions. Imposing both compulsion and software conformity will make enemies of both opponents of lecture capture and advocates who don't like the way you have chosen to go about it.

If you are using lecture capture for MOOCs/ itunesU the considerations are different. In this case I think you need to get proper professional people to record the lectures, especially if video/ other visuals are involved.

As a side point to these discussion I thoroughly enjoyed some lectures from iTunesU on the Reformation recommended by a friend (I wrote a blogpost about it here http://johncanning.net/wp/?p=1876). ). Despite really enjoying listening to the lectures I was conflicted about the pedagogic approach. As a teaching and learning person I don't think a masters module consisting of 30 x 1.5 hr traditional lectures is really something I could ever endorse, but as a hobbyist I was hooked on the series. Perhaps, this raises another set of issues about our motivations for lecture recording. If we are recording to improve student learning, that's great, but if recording lectures is about the enhancing the public face of the university, we need to ask ourselves if we are doing the best for our students in developing the skills and knowledge they need. In the Reformation case I wondered if I was getting a better deal than the paying students (though further to Phil Race's comments he took questions from the students at the end).

Just a few thoughts.
John Canning
Centre for Learning and Teaching
University of Brighton

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Rachel Scudamore [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 July 2015 11:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Content and Audio Capture at MMU

Dear All,

At Nottingham we already have Echo360 in lecture theatres and a license for use on PCs in the office too. Use is variable with all the pros and cons rehearsed in the academic departments.  We recently considered making lecture capture compulsory across the university but have decided against. It was thought that it would be too expensive on the IT front and that compulsion would tend to encourage discussion of the negative aspects. Our approach to increasing uptake is one of education from within disciplines. Interestingly, one School have handed it over to students to handle. A rep will ask the lecturer if they can record the lecture, press all the necessary buttons, and put it in the appropriate place afterwards. This seems to have increased take up quite dramatically.

As part of our consultation, my colleague Dr Ruth Allen compiled a discussion paper for our colleagues with a brief overview of the literature and implications for Nottingham of making a decision to mandate lecture capture. Please feel free to make use of it, with appropriate acknowledgement of course:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/tld/documents/discussionpapers/lecture-capture-in-he-201402.pdf

Regards,

Rachel

Dr Rachel Scudamore FHEA FSEDA