We are still discussing this at the moment as all our students are on O365 but all staff email is currently internal.

The discussion is continuing between PI’s, ethics and us in IT Services.

We (IT Services and PI’s ) believe that the O365 platform should be considered as part of the University email provision and is therefore regulated as part of our normal T&C’s.

Our guidance / policy, on such information entails secure email, so users would make a call whether they are Confidential / Restricted or Open.

However to engrain this into standard email behaviour is still challenging, but we are pushing this when new staff / PGR students attend inductions.  Our Med School runs a compulsory course on data security ( which has been created by our legal offices ), but they are the only college ( out of 5 ) that do this,  I think our Life Science College will also start to do this.

Regards,

Aslam Ghumra

Research Data Management

T: 0121 414 5877