On 8 Jul 2015, at 10:25, Richard Ellam <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

So Mother Nature thinks ‘This is a fantastic opportunity to earn good rates of pay where you could earn UP TO (my emphasis) £60/day’

On a day when the Chancellor will be announcing plans to reduce welfare payments by up to £12 Billion, list members may like to consider that in London the living wage is set at £9.15 an hour.

Mother Nature seems to be requiring 8 hours work a day from its people, which comes to £7.50 an hour at £60/day.

Mother Nature are currently asking £245/week for each child to attend one of their Summer Science Camps.

Sounds more like poverty pay than good wages to me: I wonder what the owners of Mother Nature pay themselves. Do you think this is likely to be more or less than £60 a day?

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive
Science Shows and Hands-On Stuff
www.lminteractive.co.uk

Is it really that simple, Richard, as you have to take all other expenses into account …

£245 /week per child = £49 / day.  Take £9 for lunch & snacks, and £10 for materials used in the workshops (I think I am overestimating!) and that leaves £30 per child. Assume 25 kids, that means they make £750 per day.  This may seem a lot, but if they have to pay £300 per day for the use of the venue, plus 2 instructors at £125 each, that’s £550, leaving £200 profit.  Paying another 2 temporary instructors £60 each means that the company is only left with a mere £80 per day profit.

On the other hand there is the point that if a temporary instructor is paid £60 a day, but has to take, say, £15 out of that for travel expenses, that only leaves £45 less tax, so is it worth giving up a day when you could be lying on beach to be on site from 8 am for 8 hours?

Maybe it’s just so exciting that it’s worth doing.  I wrote to Roseline yesterday for more information but haven’t had a reply yet.

Regards,
Jerry

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com