Dear All,

PSCI-COM members might be interested in this (temporary) post:

The Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) is looking for a multi-talented self-starter to be our Education, Outreach and Diversity Officer. This is a temporary position, to cover the incumbent postholder while she takes maternity leave, and reflects our deepening commitment to public engagement. You will be within a small team of 20 staff based in Burlington House, Piccadilly, London.

As our Education, Outreach and Diversity officer, you will be the member of staff with key responsibility for these areas of Society activity. You will have the confidence to build on our existing work and shape our future programmes as we approach our 200th anniversary in 2020.

We’re searching for someone who is passionate about astronomy and geophysics and enthusiastic about engaging the public with these sciences. You will have a personal commitment to tackling diversity issues in the broadest sense and be keen to see the scientific community better reflect the makeup of wider society.

A graduate in physics or a related science, you will ideally have a background in teaching or other formal education and have an appropriate professional qualification. An excellent oral and written communicator, you will be comfortable working alongside people of all backgrounds and levels and have some experience of work on diversity and equalities issues. Experience of fundraising, although not essential, would be an advantage.

This post is a 9 month full time contract, from 1 December 2015 to 31 August 2016. The salary on appointment to the post is in the range £32,512 - £35,560 per annum, (pro rata, so equivalent to £24,384 - £26,670 for the duration of the contract), depending on experience.

The closing date for applications is Monday 24 August 2015 and interviews are scheduled to take place on Friday 18 September 2015.

You can see more details including a link to a full job description at http://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/2690-education-outreach-and-diversity-officer-maternity-cover

I’ll be on leave from the second week of August, but am happy to answer any informal questions about the post before then.

Best wishes,

Robert

Dr Robert Massey

Deputy Executive Director

Royal Astronomical Society

Office: +44 (0)20 7734 3307 x113

Mobile: +44 (0)794 124 8035

www.ras.org.uk

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com