Ken, I think you missed the main point I was making (along with Birger and Ranjan). As Hillier previously noted, designers acquire and  marshall useful knowledge (presuppose was Hillier’s term) from many sources including their own education and experiences, as well as from information they can acquire. They need help in this, but too much effort can be wasted collecting information before starting to assess and apply it. Too much focus on getting evidence up front can distort and mislead the problem seeking process as much as help inform it. "Fail fast" and :'learn by doing”are evidence gathering processes too. Evidence gathering needs a focused context to be of value during design even of complex systems (moon shots). Success at IDEO or for any other designer involves imagination, experience, and evidence but how well they are contextualized, orchestrated, and synthesized are issues that should be central to this discussion.

Or so I believe,
Chuck

> On Jul 16, 2015, at 4:47 AM, Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I agree with you and Ranjan on the importance of imagination — there is no evidence about the imagined future that does not exist. But there is a great deal of evidence about many aspects of that future, and the dialectic between imagination and evidence allows us to make wise choices. Success at IDEO entails a combination of imagination, experience, and evidence — and experience itself provides a crucial form of evidence.

Charles Burnette