From: Chris Packham <[log in to unmask]>
To: OCC-HEALTH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 14:45
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Maintainance and repair of bedpan macerator in Hospital -Advised PPE for maintainance workers

Lynda

You were asked about which glove? Who was doing the risk assessment? If they are competent to do the risk assessment then they should also be competent to decide on the glove required. As I have no direct knowledge of what the task involves I can imagine a whole raft of different scenarios that might dictate the type of PPE, even whether respiratory protection, whole body protection, etc. would be needed. Remember that according to COSHH and PPE regulations gloves are a ‘last resort’. Could the risk be reduced in any way by technical methods, e.g. removal of contamination by cleaning machinery? Remember the golden rule with gloves. All gloves fail to danger! So what might be the risk to health were the gloves to fail? How are you going to protect against that?

Just a few of the considerations that I would apply were I to be charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the task can be carried out safely.

Best regards

Chris

Chris Packham

FRSPH, FIIRSM, FInstSMM, MCMI, MBICSc

EnviroDerm Services

Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN

Tel: 01386 832 311

Mobile: 07818 035 898

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: