Saturninus of Toulouse's celebration on this date is very old.  It's already in the earliest witness (the codex Epternacensis, fols. 2-33 of the early eighth-century Paris ms. Latin 10837) of the seemingly very late seventh- or early eighth-century (pseudo-)Hieronymian Martyrology.  This witness, which transmits an older state of the text than those found in other manuscripts, preserves a localization _In spanis civit[ate] tolosa_ whose initial part will already have been out of date when the (ps.-)HM as we have it was put together, Toulouse having been Frankish from 507 onward.  The _In spanis_ portion of this entry must go back to a predecessor from the fifth or very early sixth century when the city in question was part of the Visigothic kingdom.  In the absence of documentary evidence of such an early date from Toulouse, searching for an historical reason seems hopeless.

Best,
John Dillon

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of richard legault <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 6:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Saint Saturnin of Toulouse

Does anyone know of any historical reason for the selection of 29 November for the feast day of Saint Saturnin of Toulouse?

Here is a video of a recent 29 November procession of the relics and solemn mass for the Saint at The Basilica of St. Sernin in Toulouse, France. If you stop it at exactly 0:58 you will see how a devilishly clever photographer caused a trčs vriasemblable and saintly nimbus to appear around the head of whom I make out to be Monseigneur De Gall, presiding.

Richard J Legault