Dear colleagues,
According to Frank Barlow's biography of Becket, there were rumours that TB converted to the discipline of the canons. In evidence, he notes that the future archbishop was trained at Merton priory in Surrey and that he wore the “enveloping dark full-length robe” of the canons, replete with lambskin trim. Apparently, this caused some contemporaries to think that he had converted to the habit of the regulars. Can anyone confirm this claim or point me to other sources that might back it up?
Kind regards,
David Winter,
Brandon University,
Manitoba, Canada