More on parish churches than cathedrals ... but you will find the
literature on the demon Tutivillius a good starting point.

Kathy Cawsey, 'Tutivillus and the "Kyrkchaterars": Strategies of Control
in the Middle Ages', _Studies in Philology _102(4), 2005; Margaret
Jennings, 'Tutivillus: The Literary Career of the Recording Demon',
_Studies in Philology Texts and Studies_ 74.5 (1977); Christa
Grossinger, 'Tutivillius' in Elaine Block and Malcolm Jones, eds,
_Profane Imagery in Marginal Arts of the Middle Ages_ (Brepols, 2009)

 I'd be grateful for more references on this myself. I always felt that
one of the weaknesses of that otherwise excellent Experience of Worship
project was that we didn't spend enough time thinking about the
congregational experience and particularly about what congregations were
told _not_ to do (and presumably therefore were spending a lot of time
doing). That was really why I behaved so badly in the Saturday Mass -
no-one else was doing it so I had to be naughty for everyone!

 Maddy

---
Prof. Madeleine Gray
University of South Wales
http://www.heritagetortoise.co.uk
http://twitter.com/heritagepilgrim

'You say to yourself in your mid-60s, how much time am I going to have,
do I want to slow down?' (Charlotte Rampling)

On 30/06/2015 14:45, Jason Burg wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for information pertaining to the ways people behaved in the nave of churches (specially, cathedrals would be best). Primary or secondary sources will do.
>
> Best,
> Jason ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion