Dear Colleagues,

I’m writing to draw your attention to The Harkive Project, which forms the basis of my PhD research project in the Birmingham Centre for Media and Cultural Research (BCMCR) at Birmingham City University. The PhD is funded by the AHRC’s Midlands3Cities doctoral training scheme and is concerned with the manner in which people consume popular music, with a particular focus on ‘big data’ and digital technologies.

Each year Harkive gathers stories online from people about how, where and why they listen to music on a single day. Since launching in 2013 the project has gathered over 5,000 unique stories from people all over the world, and returns for a 3rd time on Tuesday 21st July. I’d like to invite you and any students, colleagues and associates with an interest in popular music to take part. You can find more information on the website: http://www.harkive.org

As the project day approaches I’ve been posting example contributions from interesting people involved with popular music, including musicians, journalists, record label owners, promoters, and academics. I’m grateful in particular to Marcus O’Dair (Middlesex University), Raph Nowak, and Prof. Joe Bennett (Boston Conservatory), some of whom may be known to colleagues, for their fascinating entries this year.

Participants on the day itself next week can tell their stories in a variety of ways, either by posting to social networks such as Twitter and Facebook using the #harkive hashtag, emailing longer written pieces to the project directly, or by uploading photos, audio or video to platforms such as Audioboom, YouTube and Instagram. All methods of contribution are detailed here

If the project is of interest to you please feel free to contact me with any questions. Similarly, please feel free to pass on my details to any students or associates that you feel may want to know more.

Kind regards
Craig
Craig Hamilton
Rm364, School of Media