Can I take this opportunity to do a piece of shameless self-publicity for a new work of mine on Dario Fo? It has been published in English but in Milan

Joseph Farrell, Dario Fo and Franca Rame: Passion Unspent, Ledizioni, Milan, £10.99, €16 or $18. ISBN 9 788867 053230

To be clear about the scope of this book - years ago, I wrote a biography published by Methuen in London, and last year this was updated and translated into Italian, published by Ledizioni. The Italian version was entitled Dario e Franca: la biografia della coppia Fo/Rame attraveso la storia italiana. It contained much material not in the English original, specifically on the period post-1997, the year when Fo was awarded the Nobel prize, which is where I stopped the original English biography.

This new material, not previously available in English, forms the core of the present book, although I have further updated it to bring the story up to the beginning of this year. It covers Fo's continuing political and theatrical activity, the death of Franca, as well as the fact that at the age of eighty-eight Fo started writing novels. He has now produced three, one of which is to be published in English soon. I talk about them in the final chapter.

No serious academic, or university library, will wish to be without this book

Joe Farrell