From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert White
Sent: 27 July 2015 12:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: HER/SMRs and GIS

North Yorkshire County Council’s 1981 (ICL?) mainframe based in-house written Archaeological Record System used a 10 figure three part UID – the first five digits for the primary record, the next 2 for unique but related components of a site or find and the final three for unique but related subcomponents - with upto five 10 figure NGRs which could be a single central point, define  a triangular or quadrangular area or the limits of linear features and  separate bibliographic, archive and aerial photographic records. We wrote FILETAB programs to interrogate the database and used GIMMS, a programme developed by Edinburgh University, to generate maps on an AO sized table plotter.  It was still in use when I left NYCC but data entry – via paper coding forms which were initially batch keyed to disc by Computer Services  “typists” – was slow.

Robert White

Senior Historic Environment Officer

Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority

Yoredale, Bainbridge, Leyburn,