Dear GIScRG colleagues,

Tobias Preis and I have one remaining
** Fully Funded PhD Studentship in Data Science **
available for a UK/EU student interested in starting a PhD in our Data Science Lab in October 2015.

Would you be able to circulate the advert below to any students you think may be interested? We will need to close applications shortly, so anyone who would like to apply should contact Tobias (cc'd) or myself as soon as possible.

With best wishes,
Suzy

###

***
Fully Funded PhD Studentship in Data Science
"Identifying links between online activity and human behaviour in the real world"

Data Science Lab, Behavioural Science, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick
***

We are seeking to recruit a creative and highly motivated student, who is fascinated by the relationship between data from the Internet and real world behaviour, to start a PhD in our Data Science Lab in October 2015.

The PhD would be supervised by Tobias Preis and Suzy Moat
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/about/person/tobias-preis/
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/about/person/suzy-moat/

Full funding is available for UK/EU students, covering tuition fees at home/EU rate, and a stipend of £13,726 pa for 4 years.

Our work so far has investigated how data from Google, Wikipedia, Flickr and Twitter can be used to measure and predict economic decision making, disease spreading, criminal activity, reactions to disasters and general wellbeing.

Current members of our lab have backgrounds in a range of disciplines such as computer science, physics, mathematics, psychology, economics, finance, and more. We work with a wide variety of data types and methods, analysing text, images, networks, time series and spatial data.

We are lucky to already work with some excellent PhD students, who have been awarded several prizes for their work, and who have had their research featured by press worldwide including BBC World News, BBC Online, Financial Times and the Wall Street Journal.

Applicants should have solid programming skills and experience with either statistics or machine learning, and an interest in applying these skills to investigate human behaviour, as well as a Master's degree.

Please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested in this opportunity.
Suzy Moat: [log in to unmask]
Tobias Preis: [log in to unmask]

--
Suzy Moat
Assistant Professor of Behavioural Science

Email :: [log in to unmask]
Twitter ::  http://twitter.com/suzymoat
Web :: http://www.wbs.ac.uk/about/person/suzy-moat/

***
New study: Quantifying the semantics of search behavior before stock market moves
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/32/11600.full.pdf
***
TEDx talk: Predicting behaviour with Google, Wikipedia and Twitter
http://youtu.be/IvZ4jXQNKas
***