Dear all,
We invite researchers to submit an abstract for the AGU 2015 Fall Meeting (Dec. 14-18) in San Francisco to the session

MR020: The Spectrum of Slip Behaviours of Continental and Subduction Fault Zones

Conveners:
Nicola De Paola, Durham University, UK
Cristiano Collettini, Universita’ Sapienza di Roma, Italy

Andre Niemeijer, Utrecht University, Netherlands

Wen-lu Zhu, University of Maryland, US

INVITED SPEAKERS:

Prof. Chris Marone (Penn State University)

Dr. Joan Gomberg (US Geological Survey)

Dr. Hiroko Kitajima (Texas A&M University)

Session details:

Recent global deployment of geophysical instrumentation produced a vast quantity of data, allowing major advances in the characterization of the slip behavior of continental/subduction fault zones. Complex modes of fault slip – including tectonic tremor, tsunami earthquakes and slow earthquakes – have been observed in the transition zone at the up-dip and down-dip limits of the seismogenic zone. These behaviours complement classic views of fault slip behaviours, where fast, frictional sliding during earthquakes and slow, aseismic sliding during creep events occur along faults.

Although recent studies have proposed heterogeneities in fault structure, frictional properties and deformation mechanisms, to explain the broad spectrum of fault slip behavior, our understanding of these processes is still limited. We welcome multidisciplinary, innovative contributions addressing the mechanical/physical properties and sliding behaviours of fault zones during the seismic cycle through the integration of field, laboratory and seismological data.

Sponsor: Mineral and Rock Physics
Co-Sponsors: Tectonophysics, Seismology and Natural Hazard.

The abstract submission deadline is August 5th 2015, 23:59 EDT (see the link below)

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/start.html

We look forward to seeing you all in San Francisco!

Sincerely,

Nicola De Paola, Cristiano Collettini, Andre Niemeijer and Wen-lu Zhu.

Dr. Nicola De Paola
Rock Mechanics Laboratory
Department of Earth Sciences
University of Durham (UK)