Hi Allan,

I hope there are experienced engineering geologists and geotechnical engineers associated with this project to incorporate detailed seismic parameters into the design (see below).

As for your question as to whether comparatively unconsolidated sediments over a fault trace inhibit or stop ground deformation during an (otherwise) surface rupturing event, I know of no such cases. The converse is more common. Several types of deformation in loosely consolidated sediments are common during earthquakes, many of which are actually the result of strong ground motion (ie shaking from the earthquake) rather than the fault displacement itself. Such types of deformation include lateral spreading and liquefaction. Ground motion is commonly amplified in soft sediments (this is the phenomenon known as “soft sediment amplification”): this has been recorded by instrumentation during a number of earthquakes. Accordingly you are likely to have the dual threat of ground deformation owing to fault displacement as well as ground deformation owing to strong ground motion from the earthquake.

In addition to the threat posed by the particular fault in question, it isn’t clear to me where your site is relative to the off shore subduction zone. Depending on the proximity to the subduction zone megathrust rupture, a M8+ (or whatever the closest subduction zone segment is capable of) may produce more damaging ground motion at the site (and resultant soft sediment deformation) than the upper plate M6.5-6.9, and the recurrence interval for the megathrust quake may actually be shorter. Engineering analyses can be run to determine whether the ground motion on the nearest subduction megathrust segment is more of a problem than the proximal fault.

I guess what I am advising is the tidbits of advice you get here are just a starting point. Specific information on the active fault segment locations, their estimated maximum magnitudes, and recurrence intervals, as well as the site geology should all be input for detailed engineering analyses that should be done for your site.

I hope this helpful,

Cheers

John