As you are aware off, the deadline for AGU 2015 abstract submission if fast approaching (5 August 2015, 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT)

Please consider to submit your abstract to our session "T012 - Creep deformation in the lithosphere: fabrics, rheology, and derived physical properties"

Session description:

Ductile deformation in Earth’s lithosphere is predominantly controlled by creep of anisotropic minerals. The interaction among different deformation mechanisms in rocks containing multiple phases and/or fluids, leads to complex rheological behaviors that we are far from completely understanding. In recent years, significant insight has been gained into the nature of high-strain zones and their impact on the strength of the lithosphere. Key processes include grain-size reduction, phase changes, presence/migration of fluids and melts, and development of CPOs. All these processes likely modify the physical properties of rocks, providing key information on the evolution of the lithosphere. The aim of this session is to bring together interdisciplinary contributions that aim the better understanding of the lithosphere rheology based in physical and chemical material properties. We welcome contributions that constrain deformation mechanisms, the role of fluids, and the physical and mechanical properties of rocks deformed in different conditions and tectonic settings.

Sponsor: Tectonophysics (T)

Co-Sponsor: Mineral and Rock Physics (MR)

 Confirmed invited speakers are:

Holger Stünitz (University of Tromsø, Norway), presenting “Water weakening in experimentally deformed milky quartz single crystals

Tomohiro Ohuchi  (Ehime University, Japan), presenting “In situ observation of crystallographic preferred orientation of deforming olivine at high pressure and high temperature

Conveners:

Whitney Behr (University of Texas at Austin – USA)

Lars Hansen (University of Oxford – UK)

Luiz Morales (GFZ Potsdam – Germany)

looking forward to seeing you in San Francisco!!!

Best wishes,

Luiz, Whitney & Lars

Luiz F. G. Morales
Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam